Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Flight WS900 – With Service to Los Angeles


Here I am – for real – writing during the infant moments of this journey I have been dreaming of for so very long. It is still such a surreal feeling to be sitting here, in the Calgary International Airport, imagining that I will soon be in the air and officially beginning my travels. I suppose my journey has already begun, but this moment feels more real than anything I’ve experienced to this point.

I had butterflies this morning, and I was actively fighting the nerves, emotions, and anxieties. At the airport this morning tears came, and went…this is an adventure so they are tears of happiness. It’s hard to leave, but it is time to go. As I looked at my parents, and Jen, Erin, Tracy, and Lisa, I thought about how fortunate I am to have such a wonderful group to see me off, and seeing them in seven months will be a time to savor.

My plane is boarding, and I’m about to embark. Keep reading.

L.

No comments: