Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

296 Barbadoes Street




I do not feel that the distance of the Pacific has settled in yet...perhaps globalization is keeping me optimistic and very in-touch with all of you. The fact that this blog exists is standing proof of a very changed world.

This is the first time I have lived in a house that is more than 25 years old. It has some charming features, such as a hardwood floors, high ceilings, and a really cool bathroom floor, and some not-so-charming features such as a lingering (and unidentified smell), and a considerable distance between the toilet room and the shower room.

My bedroom is quite big (in fact, it puts all my former rooms to shame…), and I’ve got a lot of natural light. Plus, whoever lived here before me had a TV, which is great for catching the early morning news while I get ready for the day.

I’ve got 5 roommates at the moment – Patrick from the Netherlands, Margit from Germany, Ning and Li from Taiwan, and Cyrielle from France. Lindsay will be moving in next week when Cyriele moves on for the next leg of her NZ travels. We’ve got a good dining room table for some post-school debriefings.

The backyard is shared by three houses, so we’ve always got someone out on the porch. The deck is complimented with an excessively large beanbag chair, and the barbeque is handy for summertime cuisine. The lawn and garden are maintained by a hired gardener, so no lawnmowers to fuss with.

Central Christchurch is VERY close, about a 5-minute walk to the Cathedral Square. At the moment there is an International Busker’s Festival taking place (note: a “busker” is a street performer). I’ve seen some pretty amazing talent on my walks through the square, including a rather mind-boggling acrobatic demonstration by some Australians pretending to be Russians.

The Christchurch Public Library is also about 10 minutes walk from my house, and it appears to be a well-stocked and staffed facility. I imagine I will be spending some time wandering through the stacks during my down time.

The other fabulous feature of this city are the coffee houses. There are some truly comfortable places to enjoy a flat white, latte, or an extensive list of other beverages. My favourite so far is a place on the corner of Worcester Street and Latimer Square. I can come here with my computer and work on my blog!

Anyway, that covers my immediate surroundings – I’m sure more details will trickle through later postings.

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: