Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kia Ora from Tomorrow


(In the Cook Islands they say “Kia Orana,” and in New Zealand they greet you with “Kia Ora” -- kind of like saying “Aloha” or any kind of welcoming “hello”).

I am now officially in Christchurch, writing from the other side of the International Date Line. January 20th evaporated before my eyes, and I won’t be recovering the lost day until my travels home in August. I was sad to leave the humidity of the Cooks, and since I’ve been in NZ my skin has been dry and my tan is fading fast…

The travel gods were smiling on me this trip – we had great skies and I exercised my powers of persuasion to escape what would have been nearly $400 in excess baggage weight charges. I think my success with the Air New Zealand agent can be attributed to two things: 1) the easy-going island attitude, and 2) sympathy for me because I’ve been hauling this stuff by myself for a very long journey.

I arrived in Christchurch on Sunday (Saturday for most of you), and I’ve been a busy bee getting settled and making my new nest at my new house. Originally, I was supposed to live at 266 Gloucester Street, but upon arrival I was informed that I’d be living at 296 Barbadoes Street. We share a backyard, so the rest of the Canadian teaching cohort won’t be far. Lindsay will be moving in to my house next week, and Chris and Shannon will likely be sharing another house. We’ll be doing our best to get together for meals and teaching dialogue.

Tomorrow I will be going back downtown to check out some more of the World Busker Festival, and then if the weather is nice, I’ll be walking to Avonside Girls’ High School to time the walk and see what the bus back home has to offer…

So far I’ve made some interesting observations about the slight differences between the cultures and Canada and New Zealand (enough to go from “Eh” to “Zed”):

a) they drive on the opposite side of the road. How very James Bond-ish!
b) it is not uncommon to see people walking around with no shoes.
c) the pedestrian crossing alerts sound like intense techno music.
d) there is little or no ozone layer over NZ, so sunscreen is a must. The Cancer Society also sells sunscreen, which directly profits research.
e) they call their convenience stores “dairys”
f) you order your coffee differently. A “flat white” (1/2 espresso, 2/3 milk, but the way the milk is poured is different than a traditional latte), or “long black” (2 shots of espresso, over hot water – but the order is important, water first THEN espresso so that the crema doesn’t “burn”) are very Kiwi.
g) Kiwi’s drink a lot of instant coffee. YUCK!
h) Kiwi's call them "mozzies" not mosquitoes or "skeeters"
i) People park on their front lawns.
j) you “hire” (as opposed to “rent”) a video, car, golf clubs, or other tangibles.
k) sheep are to New Zealand as cows are to Alberta. But MUCH cuter.
l) spelling: “tire” (Canada) to “tyre” (New Zealand)
m) slot machines in NZ are called “Pokies”
n) things are generally more expensive. Post It notes cost a ridiculous amount, something like $6-$8 a pad! Don’t even get me started on the cost of a decent lipstick!
o) prostitution is legal in Christchurch.
p) Comet McNaught is lighting the night sky, and won’t be seen again for 85,000 years.
q) Whittaker’s chocolate is to die for! Much better than Cadbury, and made right here in NZ!
r) Kiwi’s call hockey “ice hockey” because “hockey” means field hockey.
s) Rugby, cricket, and netball are the nation’s favourite sports.
t) No tipping in NZ!
u) North American DVDs don’t work on NZ machines.
v) Mistaking a Kiwi for an Aussie is like calling a Canadian an American.
w) “Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu” is the name of a hill in Hawke’s Bay, NZ. Check it out in the Guinness Book.
x) The pharmacy is called the “chemist”.
y) Don’t say “fanny pack” here unless you want to be accosted.
z) And they also pronounce “z” “zed,” not “zee”


I’m am now on a first-name basis with Rosie and Anna at “Andrea Biani” – a shoe store on Cashel and Colombo. Are you really all that surprised? I met with these delightful ladies because Anna is the daughter of the manager at the Paradise Inn on Rarotonga, and well, naturally the conversation hit the topic of shoes.

Today we went to the Pac-n-Save (NZ version of SuperStore, and also known in our household as “The Big Yellow Amusement Park), and I did my first big grocery run. Whole wheat pasta doesn’t seem to be popular enough to stock, neither is tofu. Asking for Veggie Ground Round was like asking for an ice cream stand in the Kalahari.

February in NZ is like September in Canada -- TV shows included. I felt like I had seen the future when I discovered that all their TV shows are a season behind. It is going to be very difficult to NOT spoil the cliffhangers in Grey's Anatomy, Prison Break, and Desperate Housewives. The obvious downside to this is that all of you are going to be watching the most recent episodes while I catch them for the second time. I think I am going to give up on TV and enjoy the city instead.

I thank all of you for your patience as I piece together my experiences, and I hope you haven’t been cursing me when you see that nothing has been added for a while – I assure you I am alive and well, and all my typing fingers are in tact (but on temporary holiday).

If you are on Alberta time, you can easily figure out Christchurch time by subtracting 4 hours from your current time, and then add one day. If you want to call or write, email me and I’ll send you the proper details.

Thanks for reading,

Larissa

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Tofu? Tell me you still eat meat?!? You're from Alberta!!! What a lovely catch up time reading your posts was - I feel like I know what's going on again! I was beginning to think you'd deserted your captive audience back home in the snow!

All the best as you get more acquainted with Avonside!

-Sabrina