Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

California Soul


I chose this title for the blog post and the photo album because the song of the same title (by Marlena Shaw) often ran through my head as we explored the Greater Los Angeles area. So did “Beverly Hills” by Weezer, and “Santa Monica” by Theory of a Deadman. Plus, the Beach Boys ran through my mind a few times when the sun was shining on the surfers.

Crème de la Crepe is an amazing little café right around the corner from Heather’s house in Hermosa Beach. The restaurant is family owned and operated, and we’ve had the same waiter each time (and he’s adorable! His French accent is irresistible!). So far, we’ve been there for breakfast, lunch, and dessert. The Zidane (named after the French soccer player) is a mouthful of deliciousness – a mixture of bananas, strawberries, syrup (GOOD syrup), and a hefty portion of Nutella to top it off. My other favourite is an omelette with avocado, smoked salmon, and blue cheese! I can’t wait to get to a pan and some eggs in NZ!

I wandered to the beach and watched the seagulls and a few devout surfers. I shook my head in disgust at the skim of smog sitting on top of Los Angeles’s Pacific. Despite the heat and abundant ocean water, it is fairly dry here and my contacts have been glued to my eyeballs for the majority of my time in LA. However, the fresh ocean breeze is refreshing (considering Alberta is currently enduring some fierce blizzard conditions).

Some highlights from Los Angeles:

1) Heather and Kristen, my two new American friends!
2) Crème de la Crepe
3) Sunset Café and the drive to Malibu
4) Beverly Hills & Rodeo Drive
5) Favourite stores: the Costco-size shoe store, Sephora on Hollywood Boulevard, Target, The Apple Store, Loehmann’s.
And of course…
6) surviving Los Angeles traffic!

In less than 24 hours I will be staring at the Pacific again, but at that time I’ll be looking east. Keep checking for more…

L.

No comments: