WOW! I feel like I've never left the technological world. It has been one of my goals to stay away from my computer while I vacation in the Cook Islands...I wonder if using someone else's computer counts? Oh well, it's late and extremely dark, so not much else to do but go to sleep.
Today was absolutely beautiful! The sun was shining on this side of Rarotonga (the west side had rain all day! Kind of funny because the island itself is fairly small). Had a great snorkle today -- probably swam 5 kilometers in total from one side of the lagoon to the other, then across the middle and a zig-zag from tip ot bottom. Saw some fish, coral, cucumbers (sea, that is!), and lots of white sand. Sat on the beach and read my book -- The Life of Pi. The book should be interesting as it tells the story of a young boy who crossed the Pacific. I'm only a few pages in, so can't tell you too much now.
Aside from fishes and cucumbers, I also caught a glimpse of some other Cook Island wildlife -- a cockroach and a gecko! The cockroach took me by surprise, since I've never seen one before. Kinda gross.
Last night was the island night and were entertained by traditional and modern Cook Island drumming and dancing. The performers were fantastic, and I got some great video shots. After the main show was over, the club (The Staircase) turned into a regular night club and played music I've been hearing in Canada for the past few months. I had no idea Justin Timberlake was bringing Sexy Back to the Cook Islands. It's pretty sexy as it is, I think.
Tomorrow I switch accommodation and spend two nights at Paradise Inn which is closer to the main town of Avarua. Not sure if I'll have much luck in town since shops close early on Saturday, and are closed on Sunday. I'll be in town until Monday afternoon when I fly to Aitutaki for 5 days. Vara's Beach House has been a very comfortable hostel accommodation -- lots of space, young people, and many things to do within walking distance. The beach is (arguably) the nicest beach on the island.
All for now...stay tuned for some of my stunning picture posts!
L.














4 comments:
Can't wait to see your pictures Lars! Perhaps I will live vicariously through your photos, as the -40 with windchill just isn't cutting it for me here.
Enjoy Life of Pi. Yann Martel is a phenomenal author, it's one of my all time favorite books.
All ya'll ladies will be so tanned once teaching actually starts and we'll all know that you didn't get them from NZ since it is constantly raining there so far.
Sounds like you're having a blast in the Cook Islands, L. Can't wait for the photos. Think of everyone back home while you snorkel...it's minus 15 and snowing :)
C.
Hi Larissa,
I enjoy reading your humorous blog, interesting too. Look forward to hearing more about your trip and some pics.
Brad
Hi Larissa :)
I enjoy reading your blogs. You are so creative! I wish I could write like you. I must say Literary Theory isn't the same without you. Actually, I am asking myself why I would do it again. But hopefully it will work out.
I have some exciting news... James and I got engaged in Mexico. We are both really happy and we had an amazing trip. Good luckl with your travels and your teaching.
Post a Comment