Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Trail to Thailand



Our time in Malaysia is coming to a quick close as we spend our last ringgits and pack our bags for the beach. Our one-hour flight from Penang (Malaysia) to Phuket (Thailand) today officially marks the end of our Malaysian travels and the beginning of our Thailand adventures.

It would be very difficult to sum-up Malaysia. Even though I've only been here for 12 days I feel like I've seen quite a variety. The evidence of British colonialism peeks through the strong Islamic, Chinese, and Indian cultures and it seems as though this country is able to embrace the cultural and religious differences that are as flavourful as the variety of foods from the street vendors.

We've seen Kuala Lumpur, Melaka, Cameron Highlands, Ipoh, Alor Setar, Langkawai, and
Penang. Off to Phuket, Thailand tomorrow.

My least favourite part about Asia so far are the toilets. Pictures and details to come.

I'm having some difficulties uploading pictures at this internet cafe, so keep checking back for new albums.

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: