Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Do What Inspires You



I think I will adopt this slogan as my offical trip manifesto...short, sweet, and perfectly accurate. The poster is plastered to a billboard column across the street from the Christchurch Arts Centre.

New Zealand has been in the works for over a decade -- can you believe it?!? It started as shapeless goal that became more precisely defined as years passed and knowledge grew. I knew I wanted to be a teacher from a very young age, but it wasn't until I was in junior high school that I began flirting with the idea of teaching and living overseas. I vascilated between a few different ideal destinations, but hit on New Zealand for some unknown reason when I started my teacher training five years ago. It's interesting how some places call our hearts more than others, and until I came here I couldn't really articulate a specific reason for choosing New Zealand over any other place on the planet. But after meeting all these wonderful people and travelling around these roads I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I started looking into New Zealand with serious intention during my first year at the University of Lethbridge and narrowed down a city. During this time I found out that others were planning on heading to NZ as well, but details were still blurry. Things really started coming together in July 2006, and I was blown away by the fast response I received from Avonside after my first inquiry.

So many people have asked, "why New Zealand?" and I still marvel in the sublime realisation that I am actually here, living through a long-term goal. It's been a really powerful teaching tool in the classroom because it's a good example of working through the challenges of goal setting and reaching. It inspires me to continue teaching and learning from all the active minds around me.

So as I get ready to wrap things up with my students I will leave them with this message, because I can back it up with an example that has been unbelievably gratifying and life-changing, and if anything it only inspires me to set higher goals that challenge me in my personal and professional life.

Newton's laws of motion, acceleration, and balance play a huge part in both the physical and emotional world. It's hard to ignore how these laws can be applied to inspiration -- just even thinking about how forces act on the body and mind. I propelled myself across the Pacific into a huge question mark, and I'm about to do the same as I prepare to travel Southeast Asia. Who knows what events will occur, what will make me laugh or cry, and who I will meet along the way...but it's so awesome to remain open to the wonder of it all...

Thanks for reading.

L.

No comments: