Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Swimming Sports at the QEII


Mix the following ingredients together:

1) 1200+ teenage girls
2) 90+ staff
3) stopwatches, swim caps, and togs
4) sausage sizzle lunch
5) a hot day inside a humid pool facility
6) house colours and healthy competition
7) Mr. Joel's enthusiastic commentary

Once the ingredients have been mixed for approximately 6 hours, remove and reflect.

The day at the QEII pool facility was heaps of fun -- lots of serious and not-so-serious competition -- and an excellent opportunity for the staff and students
to mingle as house competitors. I particularly enjoyed the staff vs. students show down. The day was also a great opportunity for me to enjoy my new students outside of the Avonside classroom.

By the way...

A "sausage sizzle" is the NZ equivalent to a "hot dog lunch," but as similar as they are, both traditions have a different taste. A New Zealander knows a "hot dog" to be a wiener coated in deep-friend batter, kind of looks like a corn dog. A sausage sizzle is basically a barbecued hot dog on a piece of white bread, with ketchup (and onions if you're lucky!). You'll wash it down with a lemonade, a.k.a. "Sprite". I know, it's confusing.

Next up is Athletic Sports day at the outdoor track at the QEII. Watch for a post about all the track and field events shortly after March 8th.

Thanks for reading,

L.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Larissa,
Great to see that you're back this week with some more blogging. Must be nice to have your uncle and aunt visit. Seems like you had lots of fun at the sports event.

Brad