Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Friday, February 9, 2007

An Official Welcome


Avonside has a tradition of formally welcoming new staff and students to the school by holding a powhiri (pronounced pov-ir-ee) ceremony on the front lawn of the school grounds. The notion of welcoming one tribe onto the territory of another has its roots in Maori customs, and is symbolically appropriate for the welcoming of new people into the Avonside community.

What is a Powhiri?

A powhiri involves speeches, singing and hongi. It is often reserved for manuhiri (special visitors), but may also be performed for tupapaka (arrival of the body of the deceased) for a tanhihanga (funeral).

On some occasions the powhiri begins before the karanga (the call), at other times it begins after the karanga has started. At some point the karanga and the powhiri will be taking place at the same time. For the powhiri, the kai karanga (female caller) usually stands to the side and slightly to the front of the remainder of the tangata whenua (hosts).

After the manuhiri (guests) and tangata whenua are seated, both sides have speakers, beginning with the tangata whenua. The ceremonial tapu (sacred) is lifted when tangata whenua and manhiri make hongi (physical contact).

The hongi is a traditional greeting in NZ and is performed by pressing one’s nose to another. This exchange of space is symbolically significant because it means that you are no longer considered manuhiri, but rather tangata whenua, and are therefore officially part of the receiving group and their land. It also means that you are obliged to share in all the duties and responsibilities of the home people.


As I was walking up the lawn to the seating area I was thinking about all the things I am bringing to this school community. As a teacher of literature I believe that we all carry our life texts with us no matter where we are. In essence, our lives are our lightest luggage. Our personal stories, experiences, knowledge, history, and thoughts are the things we must hold closest to us, with the understanding that it is our responsibility to share these gifts with others.

In all the hustle-and-bustle of daily school life (especially in the first few days of classes) it is easy to feel lost both literally and figuratively. At the conclusion of the ceremony I felt more connected to the people and my new surroundings.

Performing the hongi has been a highlight of my NZ experience. New staff and students (2 from each new class) followed in a line to touch the noses of the male staff members. The trick here is to avoid bonking someone on the nose, or forehead, and making sure that your handshake is firm and kind. It's kind of like an eskimo kiss.

The most emotionally moving part of the ceremony was the singing. The kapa haka group (students who perform Maori dances and songs) are astounding, so powerful I had chills up and down my spine. When it came time for us newcomers to sing, we sang an uplifting song titled "Tutira Mai" which goes as follows:

Tutira mai

Tutira mai nga iwi
Tatou tatou e
Tutira mai nga iwi
Tatou tatou e

Whaia te maramatanga
Me te aroha
E nga iwi
Kia taptahi
Kia kotahi ra
Tatou tatou e


Line up together, people
All of us, all of us.
Stand in rows, people
All of us, all of us.

Seek after knowledge
and love of others - everybody!
Think as one,
Act as one.
All of us, all of us.

All of us, all of us!!
Hi aue hei !!!

(If you're lucky, I just might sing it for you someday!)

The official powhiri welcome to Avonside was a very special experience, and has now become part of my continuing life text.

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: