Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Locutions from the Land of the Long White Cloud


Locutions from the Land of the Long White Cloud

This morning I woke up early (even though it’s a Saturday), and the first thought that started my day was directly related to the whole act of waking up. Everyday, everywhere, people wake up after late nights of TV, sports, parties, pubs, travel, lesson planning…it’s a universal experience with universal expectations. We are required to get up and live life – and somedays this is easier than others. Sometimes we know exactly what is coming our way, and yet other days we are at the complete mercy of serendipity. At the moment I am embracing the balance.

Today I woke up with an overwhelming sense of “I can’t believe I am here.” Of all the places in the world to wake up and plant my feet, I’m starting my day in Room 1 at 296 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand, Earth. Kind of a grandiosely humbling feeling.

This got me thinking. Even though we’re only separated by a pond called the Pacific, I there are definitely things I miss and DO NOT miss about Canada. Here goes:

Things I miss about Canada:

1. Having friends and family close – especially within a free-call distance (although I can make calls to Canada for about 2.9 cents a minute).
2. 4 litre jugs of milk (and the milk tastes different here…can’t quite put my finger on it….AND they don’t call it “skim,” here it’s called “trim”).
3. Wide roads and steering wheels on the left side of the vehicle.
4. Bank machines that have “deposit” features. Uber-annoying.
5. Tim Horton’s.

Things I don’t miss about Canada:

1. Scraping frost off car windows. Plugging the car in.
2. Shoveling sidewalks in my Sorels.
3. Pennies and nickels.
4. Putting gas in the Blazer.
5. The Lethbridge wind.

Also, I kind of miss Seamus on Canada AM, even though I find a bit of humour in Paul Henry (the co-anchor of the morning Breakfast show on TV NZ) – he just might be Austin Powers in disguise! Really, I’d even put money on it. His mannerisms and expressions are striking (and I’m toying with the idea of sending him a text message requesting him to “beeehave”).

I do appreciate the curb-side garbage pick-up and recycling program, mail to the front yard, and fun things to do within a short walking distance. Christchurch is pretty choice, and to rip off a line from an Oasis album, it’s awesome to “be here now.”

Thanks for reading,

L.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hi Larissa,

I'm really enjoying reading your blog. You have a unique sense of personal reflection and narrative.

Brad