Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

On the Road Again



We are officially on Term Break here in NZ. All schools operate on a 4-term academic year, and each term ends with much-anticipated and much-appreciated school holiday. This is the first go round, and even though it feels like we just got started, it’s time to take off. We’ve got two weeks to zoom around the country and take in as much as we can.

Our plan is in pencil, not pen. Our main goals: see, explore, learn, adventure. We have an idea of places we want to see, and the approximate routes we may, but there is definitely some flexibility in how we spend our time. “Must Sees” include:
(South Island) Nelson and the Abel Tasman National Park
(North Island) Wellington, Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Coromandel Peninsula, 90 Mile Beach, and Auckland.

We’re going to give kayaking, tramping (hiking), museums, glowworms, tipis and much more a go. We’ll travel the South Island by bus, then catch the Inter-Islander ferry from Picton (South) to Wellington (North), and pick up our rental car in Wellington. We’re flying back to Christchurch from Auckland, via Wellington.

So much to see in so little time. Keep checking back for more details.

L.

No comments: