Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Crossing the Cook Strait



I’m writing from a reclining chair on the Kaitaki (“challenger”), one of the ferries in the Inter-Islander fleet. She is the largest, with room for 1600 passengers and 600 cars. There are heaps of luxuries aboard, including a cinema (playing new theatrical releases), cafes, food court, bars, live bands, TV lounges, video games, playgrounds -- and I just heard an announcement for an on-board magic show!



The Cook Strait, between the North and South Islands, is the main waterway between the mountain ranges of each island. It acts as a funnel for air flow onto the country and as a result is a particularly windy area. It takes approximately 3 hours to sail from Picton (South Island) to Wellington (North Island also the capital city of NZ). In adverse weather conditions the ride can take MUCH longer (someone mentioned 24 hours!). The narrowest part is about 19 kilometers wide.

The ship sails through sounds and points before it hits the open ocean. The scenery is stunning (we’re getting accustomed to the “wow” effect that hits us frequently). We passed:

1. Cook’s Lookout (marked with a monument commemorating the spot from which Captain Cook first sighted the stretch of water that was to bear his name);
2. Whekenui Bay (the place where, according to Maori legend, Kupe caught and killed the giant octopus he had pursued across the ocean to NZ);
3. Karori Rip (where two tides meet, making a noticeable rip. Rough even on calm days);
4. Sinclair Head (winter home from grey fur seals);
5. Red Rocks (notable result of volcanic activity, now a seal colony);
6. Pencarrow Head (site of the oldest lighthouse in NZ – 1859);
7. Matiu/Somes Island (used as an animal quarantine station until the 90s. During WWII it was used as a detention centre for ‘hostile aliens’ – people from enemy countries. It is not used as a recreation area).

There’s a lot to see and explore for this first-time ferry passenger. I’m off for more picture taking on the sun-deck where I will likely encounter gale-force winds as we steer towards Windy Wellington.

I have a very strong feeling that I’ll have a sway in my steps once I get on firm ground.

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: