Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Rolling the Clock Back for Daylight Savings


Clocks rolled back in NZ early Sunday morning. So, just as you North Americans are adjusting to your new clocks (3 weeks early!) to enjoy longer days, we're enjoying sun a bit earlier in the mornings, and taking note of the longer evenings.

This change in time makes it a bit more difficult to contact home during mutually agreeable hours. New Zealand is now 6 hours behind Calgary time (plus one day). Check the real-time clocks on the side panel to catch the local times in Calgary and Christchurch.

For you history buffs...
Saving daylight was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a humorous letter urging Parisians to save money by getting up earlier to use morning sunlight, thereby burning fewer candles in the evening. Franklin did not mention daylight saving time - he did not propose that clock time be changed. His letter was in the spirit of his earlier proverb "Early to bed and early to rise / Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

So while NZ "falls back," North America "springs forward" -- just another hemispherical complication! Thank goodness for mnemonics...

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: