Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Postcards from the Edge...of the World


Get your hands on a map of New Zealand and run your fingers right down to the southern tip of the South Island to find Invercargill and Bluff -- two of NZ's finest! I spent the past weekend with nine 14-16 year-olds at the South Island Secondary Schools Water Polo Championships in Invercargill. The weekend was a great opportunity to be a teacher outside of the classroom -- teaching unwritten lessons of encouragement and praise (and tidying up after yourself!), and getting to know new students in an alternate learning situation.

Air New Zealand carried us safely from Christchurch to Invercargill, just in time to squish 12 bodies and TOO MUCH luggage into our rental van. Headed to the motel to drop off the bags and then took the girls at the pool for their first game.

After picking my brain for a few memories of water polo, I finally concluded that I've probably only seen one game during the Olympics several years ago. Certainly not enough to know the rules, but enough to know that the game isn't played on horseback in water. The past few days have taught me that water polo is a very aggressive sport that requires endurance, intelligence, and brute force. It seems to be a bit of a hybrid sport, with elements of swimming, basketball, rugby, wrestling, soccer, and maybe even football. The game moves fast with 4 quarters, each 5 minutes, and there are 7 players in the water at any given time (including the goalie).

The Avonside girls finished in 6th place after much heart and strength in the pool. The team was three players short, so many of the girls were playing the entire game without relief. The team is very fortunate to have such a brilliant coach, Hannah, who has spent a lot of time with them in preparation for this tournament.



Invercargill has a bit of a reputation -- kind of like Saskatchewan. Not much to do or see (although they've got a really decent pool facility!). There is an amusing anecdote floating around that captures Invercargill's brush with celebrity many moons ago...

Seem that Invervargillians were somewhat unimpressed by Mick Jagger's hip shaking and noise making, and back in the '60s, after a disappointing concert, the Stones were pelted with tomatoes. Jagger referred to Invercargill as, "the arsehole of the world!" (which, as a sidenote, does NOT appear as the city's slogan on the "Welcome to Invercargill" sign). Still not much happening 40 years later, and Invercargill seems to leave one feeling like they "can't get no satisfaction" (or a decent cup of coffee...). Plus, ex-Englad rugby captain (Brian Moore) made a very potent comment labeling Invercargill as, "the Chernobyl of the South Island" -- no doubt a direct reference to the industrial feel of the city, complete with enormous metal-product factories.

We had a bit of time to kill this afternoon before our flight departed, so we hopped in the bus and took a trip out to Bluff (15 minutes from Invercargill). Basically, it's just a lookout point with a cool sign that shows the distances to major cities and destinations. Bluff is the most southern point of the South Island, but Stewart Island (NZ's third and often forgotten island), is officially closer to Antarctica.

Bluff kind of spun me into a poetic and though-provoking state of mind. Once I shut out the complaints of the girls who were wondering why we brought them to such a desolate place, I just looked out at that big ocean and imagined that this might be the closest I ever get to the Antarctic. This is a great big world and I just came close to seeing the bottom of it. The crashing waves and rocky cliffs set a nice backdrop to my thoughts, fulfilling my expectations of this southern point.

We hopped back in the van and headed back up the road, got on the (late!) plane, and arrived safely in Christchurch shortly after 7pm. Time to switch from weekend mode to school mode -- another busy week ahead.

Thanks for reading,

L.

No comments: