Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Full Circle


On January 1, 2007, I was sitting here, at my grandma's house, thinking and blogging about the road ahead. Now I sit here, in the same exact place, thinking of the road I just travelled. Here are some lessons that I might never have learned otherwise...

We all play small parts in a very big world.

Being a foreigner has its perks. Being ignorant does not.

Reality TV still uses cue cards.

Travelling by yourself makes room for lots of thinking.

Working with 1400+ teenage girls evokes a plethora of emotions.

School uniforms reduce mufti mishaps.

Tom Joel plays a mean guitar.

"Everybody Dance Now" is the unofficial national anthem of New Zealand.

Living near a Cadbury factory is a dangerous thing.

The only thing that can kill you in the New Zealand wild is your own stupidity.

Escaping the city for a weekend is sweet as.

Pavlovas explode.

Sometimes the students you shake your head at the most are the ones you can never shake in your heart.

Driving on the left-hand side of the road isn't so scary -- even in a bite-sized Suzuki!

Living near the sea is the best way to re-charge life after being drained.

Surfing is not so easy...but falling isn't so bad either.

Latimer Square is a very dodgy place.

Text messaging can become all-consuming.

Not checking my inbox for a few days is okay.

Asian countries are same same...but different.

A smile goes a long way. Sometimes it's all one has to give.

People change your life -- sometimes in the most unsuspecting ways.

Riding a tuk-tuk at 2:30am in Bangkok is a terrifying experience...so is Pat Pong Street.

The smell of a durian fruit can knock a person out cold.

Flush toilets are a luxury to be celebrated. So is free toilet paper.

Sandflies are the devil incarnate.

Motorbike is to Asia as mini-van is to North America.

Ceramic tiles during the rainy season are a death trap waiting to snap.

The only saving grace to an 18-hour night bus ride is knowing that the person next to you won't care if you drool on her because she'll probably do the same.

Abandon all practice of the "10 Second Rule" while traveling in Asia.

Setting, living, and reaching a goal is one of the most rewarding experiences.

Counting calories in Thailand is as useless as a Dong in Hong Kong.

A Coke can has many uses.

Being a millionaire in Vietnam doesn't get you very much.

Tailor-made shopping is a lot of fun.

The best person to travel with is a best friend.

Things happen for a reason.

Home isn't just one place.

Being missed feels good...but coming home feels better.



Thanks for following along. Until the next adventure...

L.

No comments: