Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"

Where Am I Today?

Teaching at the old Alma Mater.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Here's the Plan



In less than 8 days I will be on a plane to begin my much-anticipated adventure.

After a serendipitous conversation with my friend Carlee, the two of us planned a rendezvous in Los Angeles that will include California sunshine, Hollywood, sushi, and most likely, Rodeo Drive. What more could a girl want? Couldn't be in LA with a more fun girl. I sincerely hope I win the MasterCard "Win Your Purchases" contest. Icing on the cake.

On January 10th I will depart LA for a much-anticipated (and much-deserved?) vacation in the Cook Islands. I've been interested in the Cook Islands since I listened to one of my grade seven teachers tell me all about her sailing adventures in the Islands. I don't have much on the agenda at the moment -- but likely details of snorkeling, hiking, and sunbathing will find their way into my journaling. Cross your fingers and wish me good weather!

After discovering that the Cook Islands are on our (as in North America's) side of the International Date Line, I rearranged my inter-island flights so that I could, in fact, find my way from Rarotonga to New Zealand on January 21. Could have been a good start to an interesting disaster.

You can expect to find me in Christchurch, New Zealand (South Island) from January 21 - June 15.

I plan to meet up with my best friend, Erin, in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) around mid-June to embark on a tour of South East Asia that will include Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. I'll be heading to Hong Kong late-July to spend some time with my friend Ilona and her mom.

ETA in Canada will be August 7th. I hope my mom has a comfy bed ready for me!


Email me for a mailing address and/or telephone number if you'd like to send chocolates, money, or any news from Canada. While in NZ, I'll be checking my larissa.polowick@uleth.ca email address regularly. Drop me an email to keep my homesickness at bay.

L.

No comments: